The Adobe Photoshop Refine Edges dialog is one of the best things to come along, and be improved, since the Quick Selection Tool. Refine Edges is powerful and useful, but the interface is, well, kind of challenging. It is definitely one of those features which needs explanation in the form of tutorials and videos.
Lately, I’ve been getting a lot of questions, from students and other users of Photoshop, on how to use Refine Edges.
- New in Photoshop CS5 – Cutout and Refine Edge – Video Tutorial – Adobe TV – Colin Smith
- Overview of Refine Edges
- Using Improved Selecting and Masking – Video Tutorial – Adobe TV – Jan Kabili
- Intro to Refine Edges Features
- Masking Basics in Photoshop CS5 – Video Tutorial – Adobe TV – Russell Brown
- It starts out with past methods + then moves to Photoshop CS5 Refine Edges
- Refining Selection Edges – Video Tutorial – Adobe TV – Richard Harrington
- Another take on Selections + Refine Edges
- Refine Edges Part 1 – Video Tutorial – Adobe TV – Richard Harrington
- Older style how-to on Channel Selection Methods + Refine Edges
- More challenging
- Refine Edges Part 2 – Video Tutorial – Adobe TV – Richard Harrington
- Older style how-to on Channel Selection Methods + Refine Edges Part 2
- More challenging
- Refine Selection Edges – Adobe Photoshop Support
- Refine Selection Edges details (from CS4, but people like this one)
- Refine selection edges – Adobe Photoshop Support
- Basic Refine Edges Definitions
- Keyboard Shortcuts for Photoshop Refine Edge – Adobe Photoshop Support
- Photoshop’s built in Default Keyboard Shortcuts for Refine Edge
- Adobe Photoshop Known Issues and Bugs – Adobe Photoshop Support
- The Extract plug-in is no longer supported in Photoshop CS5. Adobe highly recommends that you use Refine Edge and the Quick Select Tool for optimal selections.
There you have it: 10 Adobe Photoshop Refine Edges How-to Tips Tutorials Videos, of varying depth, and, dare I say, clarity.
If you are new to Refine Edges, we recommend that you start out with the first 4 videos, and the last 4 Adobe Photoshop Support pages
We hope that helps you in some ways.